The USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA), located in Kansas City, Missouri, has multiple vacancies for Program Specialists (Biological or Social Science Specialists; GS 9/11), including several positions within the Division of Animal Systems. Program Specialists assist with management of AFRI competitive grant programs such as Animal Reproduction; Animal Nutrition, Growth and Lactation; Animal Breeding and Functional Annotation of Genomes; Welfare or Well-being of Agricultural Animals or Diseases of Agricultural Animals. The Division of Animal Systems also manages funding opportunities for Aquaculture; Animal Health and Disease Research; the Veterinary Medicine Loan Repayment Program; the National Animal Health Laboratory Network, and others.
Program Specialists usually have a MS degree (some have a PhD) and they provide critical support for the day-to-day management of competitive and capacity grant programs led by NIFA National Program Leaders. Examples of some duties performed by Program Specialists include (but are not limited to):
- Plans and coordinates review panel meetings and timelines.
- Accepts, screens, and processes applications for funding.
- Ensures a high-quality review process by supporting review panel activities.
- Provides technical assistance, instruction, and guidance to reviewers.
- Provides program support to award recipients and other interested parties.
- Ensures awardees and non-awardees are notified of grant application status.
- Drafts responses to communication/information requests.
- Coordinates events which allow additional program monitoring, such as Project Director Meetings or conference workshops.
- Executes post award administrative activities when necessary.
- Actively participates on teams, groups, or committees resulting in added value to the team's products and services. Works with team members to appropriately implement decisions and team activities.Applications will be accepted until August 24, 2020 or until 200 applications are received. Positions are open to:
- U.S. citizens
- Federal employees who meet the definition of a “surplus” or “displaced” employee (CTAP/ICTAP/RPL);Use the following link to view/apply for the Program Specialist (Biological Science Specialist) position: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/575856800or the following link to view/apply for the Program Specialist (Social Science Specialist) position: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/575857700