The American Dairy Science Association® (ADSA®), the American Society of Animal Science (ASAS), and the Canadian Society of Animal Science (CSAS) held the 2014 Joint Annual Meeting (JAM) in Kansas City, Missouri, July 20–24.
Following several rounds of strategic planning, ASAS and ADSA have made some changes to JAM. Beginning with the 2013 JAM, ADSA and ASAS will rotate operations responsibility for JAM. That means 2014 will be ASAS’s first opportunity to serve as JAM host. We have two main goals for JAM 2014: 1) to present high quality, relevant science that links animal science and animal agriculture, and 2) to return to our roots, adding back a number of the social events that will enhance networking and add a family feel to the meeting.
• A meeting theme: “Linking animal science and animal agriculture: Meeting the global demands of 2050”
• Invited oral presentations throughout the session to “link” back to the theme
• Enhanced industry involvement in sessions
• Reception before the Opening Session
• Panel discussions during lunch:
- Animal Science in the Real World
- Funding Agencies: Perspectives in Today’s Economy
The 2014 ADSA-ASAS-CSAS JAM was held July 20–24 (Sunday through Thursday). The opening session was Sunday evening, July 20; scientific sessions begin Monday morning, July 21, and ran through noon on Thursday, July 24. Please note the Triennial Lactation and ASN-ASAS preconferences were on Sunday, July 20.
• We are excited to change the format of our opening night. Following a reception and a brief opening session, we will bus participants for a BBQ at the National Ag Hall of Fame. Years ago, the BBQ was a standing event at ASAS meetings. We are excited to bring the BBQ back in a city famous for BBQ and at a venue created to honor agriculture.
• We have increased the number of spouse tours and added specific events for family members.
• We are adding back snacks throughout the day.
• Triennial Lactation Symposium: Biology of Lactation of Farm Animals
• ASAS-ASN Pre-Conference
• Cell Biology Symposium
• ADSA Multidisciplinary International Leadership Keynote (MILK) Symposium
• EAAP-ASAS Inaugural Global Hot Topics Symposium: “Genetics Revolution”
• Workshop: “Make your talk TED-worthy”
• Beta-Agonists: What the Data Say?